Sunday, October 22, 2006

Me and Billy G! Indigo books - Nov.16th 2005


Billy G's book...his book has some really great shots!


16 years of fanhood - "D" finally meets the "G"



Nov 16th 2005 was a cold and rainy Wednesday morning like any other day in that time of the year here in Canada....except for one major difference...I was off to meet one of my personal guitar heroes- Billy Gibbons of ZZ TOP!

I awoke and left my house at 5am so I could be the first person in line to meet him at 12 noon. All the way I thought back over my 16 years of ZZ loyalty and how much fun I've had listening to their music, and how Billy's playing formed the way I play guitar to this day. My love of ZZ is so ingrained now that I cannot play guitar and not sound like him.

I arrived at 6am, and parked at the Eaton Center, which to my surprise was open, and sat down. Since I had purchased his book the night before, I sat and read it. I had even beat the staff of Indigo there, and upon their arrival assured me I would 'for sure' be the first person to meet him!

I had no idea how popular Mr. Gibbon's appearance would be, and wasn't sure how many, if anyone would venture out on this crappy day to meet the bearded legend.

By 7am there was no one....by 9am there was about 5 of us...then....by about 11 am the line went down the length of the mall and around the bend out of site! News teams had gathered outside to film and ask questions, Indigo started playing some ZZ, it was gettin to be a madhouse! Then, all of a sudden there was a hush over the crowd and through that hush emerged a tall man with a crazy skullcap, shades and that ever-fun trademarked beard.

It was bizarre to finally see Billy Gibbons in person. Weird to see those hands, the hands that had layed down what to me, was some of the coolest guitar riffs all time. All the photo's...all the videos...he seemed bigger than life. He is!

The crowd went nuts when he grabbed the mic and said in his baritoned, Texan growl: " Is everabawdy havin' a good tahm to-night?"

Then he sat down and motioned to me to come over so he could proceed to sign 1000's of books over the next 2 hours.

I had made a poster of him to add ot my collection of rock autographs, and when he saw it he drawled " Wow....SON...I have GAT to HAVE me one of THESE! "

I got him to sign it with my 'famous' blue marker...the same one used by James Garner, Eddie Van Halen, Ian Thornley, etc.

When I told who used it last ( Eddie Van HAlen ) Billy said: " Well...if it's good enough fo' Eddie...it's good enough fo' ME!"

It was pretty cool to give him something he liked after all the years of fun he's given me. We shook hands, he thanked me, and then I walked away still smiling...AND I forgot my famous blue marker until Billy said: " Hey Son...do't forget yo' marker...ya might wanna get dat backta Eddie!"

HA!Billy still is King of cool.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home